Sunday, July 26, 2020

A Torrent of Angry and Malignant Passions

On social media these days, some people are share photos of home projects or their latest loaf of sourdough bread. Some show their pets or the parks where they take their morning walks. Or their first driving lesson after getting their learner's permit. It's wonderful.

I've had a facebook profile for 12 years and rarely used it until recently. I am finding that when I make the effort to write a thoughtful post there is a very high likelihood someone will respond with an equally thoughtful reply. I've learned a lot. I've reconnected with friends from school in rich and surprising ways. I've even healed a couple of old wounds.

Then there are the screamers. In Federalist 1, Alexander hamilton said:

"...For in politics, as in religion, it is equally absurd to aim at making proselytes by fire and sword. Heresies in either can rarely be cured by persecution.

"And yet, however just these sentiments will be allowed to be, we have already sufficient indications that it will happen in this as in all former cases of great national discussion. A torrent of angry and malignant passions will be let loose. To judge from the conduct of the opposite parties, we shall be led to conclude that they will mutually hope to evince the justness of their opinions, and to increase the number of their converts by the loudness of their declamations and the bitterness of their invectives..."

In other words, all these angry memes and rabid reposts are like screaming into a hurricane. And the tragedy is, when the hurricane does not answer back, it sometimes seems to fuel a sense that "I was not heard! My voice matters too!" And then more screaming.

So...if you are a friend - from last week or 50 years ago - yes, your voice matters. If you want to discuss the things that frustrate you, I'm all ears. But to me, it is YOUR voice that matters. Not the voice of whoever made that meme/virus you're circulating, and not the voice of that other angry person I don't know and you may or may not know.

Speak to me in your own words, in your own voice. I may not agree, but I am listening. And if there is any civil conversation to be had, I'm in.

No comments: