Thursday, July 02, 2020

Old Basements

We live in media saturated times. For me, to think for myself means I need to remove myself from that noise and find some silence. This generally takes the form of long solitary walks where I reflect and question my beliefs and my arguments.

But sometimes I meet these wonderful people around me and I can't help but be moved to share some of our conversation.

This morning, I met the wife of a "bus friend" for the first time. We talked in part about religion. She said "before we moved here we were evangelical, and we have tried a few churches in the area." They have found Glastonbury Abbey particularly appealing because their services offer a lot of space for silence and reflection.

She said "We've had a lot of experiences in our lives and we want to keep moving forward. For instance, we're looking at retirement now and, we have a lot of stuff in our house we want to shed and get rid of. Frankly our basement and attic are full of things from our past. And some of it is starting to stink now."

"In that silence, we realize that our minds are not that different from our basement or attic."

No comments: