Friday, June 12, 2020

Art Matters

One reason art matters because it is a primary method of talking about our world in ways that are non-binary and non-categorical. I'm sorry I can't remember the source of this quote I'm about to paraphrase, but it seems to hit the mark...an author was asked to summarize their book and replied "If I could have said it in a sentence I wouldn't have written the novel."

In my mind, it may be that there is no better example of this than Spike Lee's "Do the Right Thing." It raises questions of systemic racism, cultural appropriation, paternalism, the tragedy of violence, the need for violence, our care for the vulnerable, and so much more in two short hours. It opened my eyes at the time. I still believe that if every person in the US could watch that one film with sympathy for each other, we would be much more able to have this difficult conversation we have launched into.

Watch that film. Spike Lee and the talented actors who created it deliver the message much better than I ever could. Have a conversation with someone who is different than you. Seek out art and let it change you.

No comments: