Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

For a month now, I've been able to put one more or less complete thought to writing each day. This morning, after an hour and a half of work, I still cannot come to a chain of thought that does not threaten to digress into tangents that have no end.

It is no secret I am a fan of rationality. And while I do not argue that your personal choices can be made without recourse to reason, I do argue that reason must be at the core of democratic society. "I feel this more deeply that you feel that" or "I can yell louder than you" are not sound decision-making strategies.

So, in a bit of a cheat, today instead or writing, I am going to recommend a fun read for anyone who has read or seen the Harry Potter series. The book is a piece of fan-fiction called "Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality" originally written under the pen-name 'Less Wrong.'

In the story, Petunia married a biochemist, and Harry grew up reading science and science fiction. Then came the Hogwarts letter, and a world of intriguing new possibilities to exploit. And new friends, like Hermione Granger, and Professor McGonagall, and Professor Quirrell...

You can read on-line, find podcasts, or download for your favorite reader at hpmor.com -- Enjoy!

No comments: